On the 4th September 1839, with Mr.Pierce Joyce in the chair, John Denis was instructed to source Hounds to purchase for the Hunt. The search ended in the Ormond Country with the purchase of fifteen couple at a price of five guineas per couple. The following year, further purchases were made, consisting of draft hounds from the Kilkenny Hunt, and by March 1840 there were thirty couple of hounds at Kennels near Dunsandle (roughly located between the village or Cruaghwell and town or Athenry, Co. Galway). It was at this time that the club was formally named ‘The County Galway Hunt’ John Denis hunted the hounds for eleven seasons, he retired in 1850 to Bermingham House, Tuam, which he had inherited from an uncle.
The Mastership of the hounds passed to Burton Persee of Moyode Castle, near Craughwell. His prowess as a Huntsman crossed the Irish Sea and in 1881 he was invited by the Duke of Beaufort to stay at Badminton and hunt his hounds. The extent of the country over which Burton hunted in Galway was enormous, from Gort in the South to the Borders of Mayo in the North and Portumna in the East to the shores of Galway Bay. The death of Burton Persse in 1885 confronted the Blazer followers with a situation – what was to happen to the Hunt ?
During his tenure the Hounds were kenneled at Moyode, not only were they without a Master and Huntsman but they were also without hounds or a kennel. In 1885 at a meeting in Mack’s Hotel in Galway it was decided to purchase the hounds in the kennel at Moyode. The Hunt committee purchased twenty three couple of entered hounds and eleven couple of puppies for the sum of three hundred and seventy five pounds. Temporary kennels were arranged for them at Castle Lambert House. The following September Mr.T.W. Anderson from County Waterford took over the Mastership of the Hunt. After the death of Burton Persee in 1885, the Blazers experienced a period of changes in Mastership up to the year 1890, when the Lord Clanmorris who lived at Creggclare, Ardrahan took over. He was Master from 1890-1895, and in addition to providing a high standard of sport in collaboration with his Huntsman, Jack Press, he built the existing kennels and Ballymore House at Craughwell, Co. Galway.